Monday, June 16, 2008

The Weekend (My First Father's Day Edition)

What a weekend, for so many reasons...

--Yes, yesterday was my first Father's Day. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it really was a special day. I took TLSA to the park, and we played on the swing. We watched the ducks at the pond. I took him with me to get my dad his gift, and his face lit up in wonderment when he entered a Best Buy store for the first time in his young life. And then he reached out and grabbed a Zeppelin CD...already he knows good music when he sees it. The beer was cold and tasty, and my home-grilled steak was perfect, as was the day of sports on TV. A round of golf may have topped the day off, but it was pretty darn good as it was. And the best part: it started all over again this morning, when my son woke up and I got him from his crib. As Bill Walton so sappily said on the NBA telecast last night, every day truly is Father's Day.

--My 10-year high school reunion was Friday and Saturday night, and I have to say that it was way better than expected. There were a few of the so-called "popular" people from my class that sort of kept to themselves, but for the most part everyone mixed very well. Several people I never talked to came up to me and said hello, and it was so fun to catch up and see how everyone was doing. I think it's a real credit to the Lakeville High School Class of 1998 that we all mixed so well. After all, we're truly all on the same team...good to see we acted like it. It didn't hurt either that I got a lot of oohs, ahhs and wows from everyone when they saw me!

--Tiger Woods. Can you even believe this guy? I think this was the weekend that he proved definitively that he's the best ever, regardless of whether or not he wins or loses the playoff today. Can you imagine playing 72 holes on a still-weak left knee, no less shooting 1-under at the US Open? Can you imagine sinking a 12-footer with your back up against the wall on hole 72? Can you imagine shooting 30 on Friday and two eagles on Saturday on the back nine - and that doesn't even account for the one-hop plop shot on 17? It was nothing short of a legendary performance, one we'll tell our grandkids about someday.

I know a lot of people that root for Tiger simply because they want to be on the side of the winning guy. That's boring. I watch him closely because I think he's the most unique talent in sports today, and I can't wait to see what he'll do next. I'll admit: when the putt fell yesterday, I did a fist-pump, Tiger style.

I'm out like Lee Westwood.

No comments: