Monday, June 16, 2008

Remembering Tim Russert

We lost another journalistic legend late last week, when Tim Russert collapsed at NBC's Washington bureau.

You only need to look as far as CNN, ABC, NBC, etc. to appreciate how huge he was: those networks broke their own news coverage plans and devoted several hours to a man from the competition. That alone tells you he was the best and most respected political newsman of his time. Personally, I followed him closely...I own and have read his first book, and when I was in DC last year, and I got off the bus outside St. Albans School (by the National Cathedral, where his son Luke went), I felt more awestruck than when I was on the National Mall. I was a great admirer.

The worst part of this, aside from the tremendous void among his family, friends and colleagues, is that the American people won't have the benefit of his letter-perfect analysis, opinion and coverage of the 2008 election and beyond. We would have been a better-equipped public with him at the desk.

Rest in peace, Tim.

No comments: